Happy New Year to all Irish Story readers! See below our top ten articles of 2019
With continuing uncertainly over the future of the border in Ireland, it comes as no surprise that articles on that topic featured prominently. Also topical were articles on the events of 1919 including the First Dail, the Soloheadbeg ambush, the Limerick Soviet and the assassination of Sir John French.
Honourable mentions also to a number of articles that just missed out on the top ten, including Barry Sheppard’s piece on the Eucharistic Congress of 1932, Patricia Byrne’s on Polish philanthropist during the famine and John Dorney’s on the Norman Invasion of 1169.
See also last year’s top ten here.
Top Ten Articles
- ‘The Pope is the Enemy of Irish Republicanism‘ by Padraig Og O Ruairc
- The Women who died for Ireland – Cumman na mBan fatalities in the War of Independence and Civil War by Padraig Og O Ruairc
- The Making of the Irish Border 1919-1925 by John Dorney
- Hugh O’Neill and the Nine Years War in Ireland 1594-1603 by John Dorney
- Michael Collins and the IRA Northern Offensive 1922 by Patrick Concannon
- Invisible Income, Remittances from the Irish Diaspora by Evan Comerford
- Casualties of the Irish Civil War in County Cork, by John Dorney
- The Strange History of the term ‘Tory’ in Ireland by John Dorney
- The Border Counties in the Irish War of Independence. By John Dorney
- The Rise and Fall of the Dail Courts By John Dorney
1. David Ryan, Buck Whaley Ireland’s Greatest Adventurer, reviewed by Gordon O’Sullivan.
2. Sean Enright, The Irish Civil War, Law Executions and Atrocity reviewed by John Dorney
3. The Latest Release of the Military Service Pensions Collection, by John Dorney
3. Donnacha O Beachain, From Partition to Brexit, the Irish Government and Northern Ireland, reviewed by Aaron O Maonaigh
4. The Army Mutiny and the launch of the 1924 Army Inquiry Papers, by John Dorney
5. Mary McNeill, The Life and Times of Mary Anne McCracken, reviewed by Gordon O’Sullivan
6. Gearoid O Faolain, A Broad Church the Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland, reviewed by Gerard Madden
7. Markievicz, Prison Letters and Rebel Writings, reviewed by Daniel Murray
8. Louise Ryan and Margaret Ward, Irish women and nationalism, soldiers, new women and wicked hags, reviewed by Aaron O Maonaigh
9. Jeffrey Leddin, The Labour Hercules, the Irish Citizen Army, reviewed by Daniel Murray
10. Tom Wall, From Dachau to the Dolomites, Himmler’s Special Irish Prisoners, reviewed by Daniel Murray
Top 5 Interviews and Podcasts
- Richard Grayson on Dublin’s Great Wars
- Declan Power on the Irish Army in Lebanon
- Irish Francoist Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War
- Joe Connell on Guerrilla War in Ireland
- Barry Sheppard on Muintir na Tire