Cathal Brennan interviews John Dorney on Eoin O’Duffy’s Irish Brigade that fought on the Francoist side of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). See also the Irish Story article on the subject here.
- How and why the Civil War broke out in Spain
- What the response in Ireland was and how the ‘Red Scare of the early 1930s influenced Catholic Irish perceptions
- Eoin O’Duffy and the legacy of the Blueshirt movement
- O’Duffy’s recruitment of pro-Franco Volunteers
- Their experiences in Spain
- The memory of the conflict in Ireland and Spain.
Irishmen also fought for the Spanish Republic in the International Brigades. See here.
Check out the Irish History show page here.