Happy New Year to all our readers and contributors! In 2015 we had 500,000 views and 290,000 visitors. Our now annual review of the year’s top new posts. See last year’s list here.
Our 2015 Top Ten
These were our most read articles published in 2015.
- The Northern Ireland Conflict – an overview, by John Dorney
- Weapons the Irish Revolution Part I -1914-16, by John Dorney
- The Illies and Environs in the 19th Century, by Gearóid Mac Lochlainn
- The Sinn Fein Rebellion? Arthur Griffith and 1916, by Gerard Shannon.
- The Pearse Street Ambush, March 14, 1921 by John Dorney
- Weapons of the Irish Revolution Part II the War of Independence 1919-21. by John Dorney
- Napoleon’s Irishmen at Waterloo by Stephen McGarry
- Ireland and the Spanish Armada 1588 by John Dorney
- Nineteenth Century Landlords of Greater Buncrana, by Gearóid Mac Lochlainn
- ‘Glorious Madness’ – The Life and Death of Micheal O’Rahilly by John Dorney
The O’Donovan Rossa funeral was 100 years ago in 2015. Article here.
Some other interesting articles,
- Belfast’s Bloody Sunday 1921, by Kieran Glennon.
- The Burning of the Big Houses revisited, 1921-1923 by John Dorney
- Siege and Shootings: The Decline of the RIC in Westmeath, 1920, by Daniel Murray.
- Dublin in the 16th century, by John Dorney
- Irish Fatalities in World War One by Jason Myers,
- Women and Achill Mission, by Patricia Byrne.
- The Desmond Rebellions Part I and Part II.by John Dorney
- ‘This Splendid Historic Organisation’: The Irish Republican Brotherhood among the Anti-Treatyites, 1921-4 By Daniel Murray.
- Padraig Og O Ruairc on the War of Independence in Clare.
- ‘Rough and Work’ the Special Infantry Corps,by John Dorney
Top Ten Book Reviews
- Emmet Dalton, Somme Soldier, Irish General, Film Pioneer, by Sean Boyne, reviewed by John Dorney
- 1916 Ireland’s Revolutionary Tradition, by Kieran Allen, reviewed by Aidan Beatty.
- Sean Murray Marxist Lenninist and Irish socialist Republican by Sean Byers, reviewed by Martin Flynn.
- 1916 Illustrated History and According to their Lights by Neil Richardson. Reviewed by John Dorney
- Conference Review: Reflection on the Revolution in Ulster by Kieran Glennon
- Power Play the Rise of modern Sinn Fein by Deaglun de Breadun, reviewed by Jim Dorney
- Dublin 1930-1950 by Joseph Brady, reviewed by Rhona McCord.
- The Irish Civil War and Society by Gavin Foster, reviewed by John Dorney
- Sexual Politics in Modern Ireland, edited by Jennifer Redmond, Sonja Tiernan, Sandra McAvoy and Mary McAuliffe, reviewed by John Dorney
- A Formative Decade, Ireland in the 1920s, Edited by Mel Farrell, Jason Knirck and Ciara Meehan. Reviewed by John Dorney